To: USBC Youth Directors, State of Arizona
From: Leon Allen, Arizona Tournament Director
2007 – 2008 USBC Pepsi Youth Championships
Date: September, 2007
Subject: 2007 – 2008 USBC Pepsi Youth Championships (Certification #7004)
ENCLOSED: A sample form that can be used for league level qualifying, Pepsi USBC Youth Championships League Level Handbook, bowler information form, Arizona Sectional and State Rules and Format. ALL ATHELETES and PARENTS MUST SEE THESE RULES. Enough copies of these rules MUST be made so that each bowler wanting to participate has a copy. ALL ATHELETES AND PARENTS must understand the rules, fees, requirements, deadlines and conditions of the tournament.
LEAGUE LEVEL COMPEITION; will be held in one qualifying two week window; January 5 through January 19, 2008. Refer to League Level Rule 3 for bowler eligibility to compete. The Pepsi USBC Youth Championships Worksheet on page 15 of the handbook, along with the sectional bowler information form, must have all information required completed. Use separate forms for each division each league. Copy forms as needed.
ADVANCEMENT RATION FROM LEAGUE LEVEL TO SECTIONAL LEVEL COMPETITION will be 1 for every 1 for all divisions. AGAIN, MAKE YOUR BOWLERS AWARE OF ALL RULES AND FEES FOR SECTIONAL AND STATE ADVANCEMENT.
DIVISIONS: 11 & Under Boys’ Handicap 11 & Under Girls’ Handicap
12 & Above Boys’ Handicap 12 & Above Girls’ Handicap
12 & Above Boys’ Scratch 12 & Above Girls’ Scratch
Be sure that your scratch bowlers
are aware of Rule 21 of the Pepsi USBC YC,
An Athlete does not have to belong to the Junior Gold Program to bowl in the Scratch Division. An athlete that wins the Scratch
Division and is not a Junior Gold Program member, must purchase a membership prior to the July Championships to advance.
If they are unable to purchase membership due to the average requirement of unwilling to purchase membership, the athlete
maintains any awards given from the state, but will not be allowed to advance to the international finals and an alternate will be
SECTIONAL LEVEL OF COMPETITION WILL BE MARCH 8 & 9, 2008. THIS IS THE FINAL LEVEL OF COMPETITION FOR AGES 11 AND UNDER DIVISION.
TWO SECTIONAL SITES –
Northern Site will be AMF Christown,
REFER TO SECTIONAL RULES FOR – Closing Date for Reports – Average Cut Off Date – Entry Fees to
Sectional Competition – Tournament Format.
STATE LEVEL OF COMPETITION –
REFER TO STATE RULES FOR – Entry Closing Date (response back from advancers) – NOTE: Advancers will
be notified by the Tournament Director, Leon Allen.
FEES – Sectional Fees ($18/$24) and State Fees ($20) must be made by league check, money order or cashiers
check made payable to AZ State USBC. Personal checks or cash will not be accepted. Fee of $25.00 for all returned
ENTRIES WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED WITHOUT FULL PAYMENT.
Tournament Director: Leon Allen, AZ State USBC Phone: (520) 836-8035
Address: 911 N. Walnut Fax: (520) 836-8035
ARE YOUR YOUTH BOWLERS & PARENTS AWARE OF THE RULES ? ? ?
PEPSI USBC YOUTH CHAMPIONSHIPS
2007 – 2008
RULES & FORMAT
4. Competition will take place at 2 sectional sites on March 8 & 9, 2008,
Sectional site: AMF Christown,
Southern Sectional site: Golden Pin Lanes, 1010 W. Miracle Mile,
(Pepsi Only Venues) Entrants from the same center will be scheduled together unless otherwise rquested.
12 & Above Girls Handicap, 12 & Above Boys Scratch & 12 & Above Girls Scratch.
Lineage $ 7.50 Lineage $ 10.00
Expenses $ 4.00 Expenses $ 4.00
Awards $ 1.00 National Expenses $ 4.00
Scholarships $ 5.50 Awards $ 1.00
TOTAL $ 18.00 Scholarships $ 5.00
TOTAL $ 24.00
Awards and Scholarship fees shall be returned 100% to the bowlers. *Scholarships will be held in SMART Program.
Account #8510. Contact person: Ed Gocha, (800) 514-2695, Ext. 3168
(*USBC Rules 301 and 309 states that all scholarships must be deposited in the SMART Program.)
12 & Above Divisions.
Tournament Director: Leon
911 N. Walnut Fax: (520) 856-8035
PEPSI USBC YOUTH CHAMPIONSHIPS
1. This tournament is certified by the United States Bowling Congress (#7004) and shall be governed by USBC rules.
2. Advancement from league is a one time entry. If an individual who qualified cannot participate in the state/zone competition, replacements will be eligible based on order of finish in previous competition. Replacements must be from the sectional site of the individual unable to compete.
3. Advancement from the sectional sites will be the first 5 places from the Northern site and the first 5 places from the Southern site from each of the 12 & Above Divisions. In all cases at least one person per division shall advance.
4. Advancers out of the league level must remain in the division they qualified in during all subsequent levels. If a bowler advances out of league level in more than one state/zone, the bowler must declare one state/zone to continue competing before the next competition level. Participation in any level of competition past the league level in more than one state/zone will result in automatic disqualification.
State Level of Competition will take place at 1:00 PM on March 29,
2008, at AMF Christown,
6. Entry closing date is March 2, 2008. Tournament entry form containing qualifiers name, address, telephone number and social security number must be submitted to the tournament director per sectional rule 5.
7. Divisions are based on the participant’s age as of August 1, 2007. Athletes must choose the division in which they will compete. Athletes are not mandated to be USBC Junior Gold members to enter the Scratch Division. However, athletes must be Program Members or be eligible and buy membership prior to advancement to the USBC Junior Gold Championships. Competition shall be conducted in the following divisions: 12 & Above Boys Handicap, 12 & Above Girls Handicap, 12 & Above Boys Scratch and 12 & Above Girls Scratch.
8. Tournament Format: The top 40 bowlers, advancement is based on the sectional sites as stated in rule 3, will bowl 2 – 5 game blocks across 10 lanes, moving 1 pair right after every 2 games. All previous scores will be dropped. Handicap to be applied where applicable. There will be a break between the 2 blocks. Pinfall from the 10 games will not be carried over to the stepladder finals. The top 4 finalists in each division will bowl a stepladder format roll-off, 4th vs 3rd place finalist, winner vs 2nd place finalist, winner vs 1st place finalist for the championship.
9. Entry fee is $20.00 lineage, only. Payable at tournament site.
10. Appropriate dress will be worn, neat clean and proper fitting. Non-tattered blouses/shirts must have sleeves and be hip length if not tucked in. Ankle length pants/jeans only. No hats/caps. Clothing that advertises alcohol, drugs, tobacco products or depicts foul language or gestures will not be permitted. Athletes may not smoke or consume alcoholic beverages. The settee and concourse areas will be smoke and alcohol free. Smoking and alcohol consumption by non participants in designated areas only.
11. No substitutes will be permitted once athletes have started tournament play, however, replacements may be used for bowlers not present 15 minutes prior to the squad time as stated in Rule 2. Replacements must be from the order of finish from prior level of competition. (i.e. the same window, same league and same center as to the “no-show” bowler if replacement is from the league level. They must follow the order of advancement within that window/league.)
12. Competitors shall be allowed 10 minutes of practice on their starting lanes prior to the first 5 game block of competition. At the start of the 2nd 5 game block, each competitor will be allowed 2 practice balls on their starting lanes. Stepladder competition practice will be: 4th and 3rd place will be allowed 5 minutes of practice prior to competing; oncoming bowlers will be allowed 5 minutes on a practice pair prior to competition. Frames missed may not be made-up. A bowler not present when it is their turn to bowl will be credited zero for that frame.
13. If no replacement has been made, bowlers arriving late shall begin play and the score shall count beginning with the frame then being bowled. Missed frames shall be credited with a zero. Frames may not be made-up. A bowler not present to bowl when it is their turn will be credited with a zero for that frame.
14. Bowlers shall use their highest current certified league average, as of February 1, 2008 of 15 games or more. If no 15 game average as of February 1, 2008, a verified standing sheet or bowler history of a 15 game or average bowled closest to the date of competition may be used. If a bowler has ONLY a sport league average, then USBC Rule 205a will be used. The average adjustment chart on page 67 of the USBC Rulebook will determine the “correct” average to use. Bowlers with no average will bowl scratch. Each league must provide an alphabetical list of their bowlers as of February 1, 2008 to include ONLY total pins, number of games and average.
15. Handicap shall be 90% of the difference between the bowlers average and 200.
16. Only bowlers, tournament officials and center staff shall be permitted in the settee area.
17. Ties will be broken by a one game roll-off. Should a ties till exist, it will be broken by an additional ninth and 10th frame roll-off, plus one/tenth of handicap per frame where applicable. (Refer to rule 326a).
18. Claims for errors in scoring or general playing rules must be made to the tournament director no later than the start of the next block or 30 minutes after the completion of competition. Questionable errors shall be decided upon by the tournament director. All other protests must be confirmed in writing to the tournament director within 72 hours of the infraction. Under this rule, each protest must be specific in itself.
19. Symbolic Awards will be presented to the first 4 places in each of the 12 & Above divisions.
20. Scholarships will be presented to finalist in each of the 12 & Above divisions. Amount to be based on the sectional entries for the 12 & Above divisions. The tournament director is responsible for submitting the scholarships and recipients to the SMART Program, who will administer the scholarships. Scholarships will be held in SMART Account #8510. Contact person is Ed Gocha (800) 514-2695 Ext. 3168.
21. The first place winners of the 12 & Above Girls and Boys Scratch
Divisions will advance to the 2008 USBC Junior Gold Championships on July 5-11,
The first place winner in each of the 12 & Above
age divisions of the Boys and Girls Handicap will advance to the 2008 Pepsi
USBC Youth Championships national finals being conducted on July 14-16, 2008 in
22. National entering average will be adjusted if the average set at the state/zone level is more than 10 pins higher than the
advancer’s year-end average. Adjusted average will be a composite average of that tournament average plus bowler’s
year-end average added together and divided by two. The average at the state/zone level will be determined by the
scratch score of the first six scratch games bowled (not including tie breakers or stepladders). Previous Coca-Cola Youth Bowling Championships and Pepsi Youth Bowling Championship competition averages will also be used in figuring the entering average at the national finals.
23. Advancers must agree to bowl in the national finals, or, failing to do so, agree to waive all rights. Replacements will be
selected based on the order of finish in their division at the state/zone level. Replacements will incur all costs associated
with changing the airline tickets, if applicable. If the advancer decides not to attend the national finals, the state/zone
scholarship won may be withdrawn. This decision will be made by the state/zone tournament committee.
24. All matters not covered by these rules and regulations shall be determined by the State/Zone Pepsi USBC Youth
Championships Tournament Committee. The National Pepsi USBC Youth Championships Tournament Committee
reserves the right to accept or reject any participant.
Tournament Director: Leon Allen Phone #: (520) 836-8035
911 N. Walnut Fax: (520) 836-8035